New dates available Webinar "At the End of the Doctorate - submission of the Dissertation" unitl end of 2023.
Please see the following website for the new dates.
Newsletter to all doctoral candidates at SOT Mai 9th 2023
The Grammarly licence is now available for TUM staff and doctoral candidates. You can find the general information in the TUM Wiki under https://wiki.tum.de/display/software/Grammarly . The login works via Shibboleth with the TUM login data directly on the Grammarly website: https://www.grammarly.com/signin .
IMPORTANT: During the 12-month test phase (until May/June 2024) of Grammarly, the existing TUM-GS editing service will be paused.
We at the Graduate Centre can no more accept manuscripts for the “Lektoratsservice” during this test phase.
The Graduate Center will update the information concerning this information on the Website of the SOT Graduate Center https://www.sot.tum.de/sot/promotion-1/ in the following weeks.
Grammarly is an AI-based writing assistant that detects and corrects grammar, spelling and punctuation errors and makes suggestions for clarity, syntax and writing style. The TUM licence is initially available to all TUM employees and doctoral candidates enrolled as "doctoral candidates" at TUM. Doctoral candidates with a guest ID in TUMonline can also use Grammarly within the framework of the TUM licence.
Webinar series "At the End of the Doctorate - submission of the Dissertation"
The webinar series "At the End of the Doctorate - submission of the Dissertation" started in April. This webinar is for those who are about to submit your thesis. The webinar will answer your questions regarding the dissertation submission. Please join the webinar if you plan to submit your thesis soon at SOT. The next webinars will take place as follows:
- Thursday, 27.4.2023, 10 a.m. (The first appointment will be in German)
- Wednesday, 24.5.2023, 10 a.m. (German or English, depending on the participants)
- Tuesday, 27.6.2023, 10 a.m. (German or English, depending on the participants)
- Monday, 24.7. 2023, 10 a.m. (German or English, depending on the participants)
The webinar lasts approx. 1 hour.
Please register for the Webinar via Email email@example.com
March 2023 - Membership confirmation is now available for download via Doc-Gs in German as well as in English - See Links und Downloads
Newsletter for doctoral candidates at SOT from October 2022
New enrollment period of doctoral candidates 8 semesters!
As of 1.1.2023, doctoral candidates can be enrolled for up to 8 semesters. (Art. 94 Bavarian Higher Education Innovation Act BayHIG)
Innovation in the annual data confiramtion
- The annual data confirmation will be shortened from 3 months to 6 weeks.
- Next year, the data update will start on 9/1/2023 and end on October 13, 2023.
- Important to know: if there is no confirmation, doctoral candidates have a hearing period of one month. If there is no re-registration, the Doc-GS account will be blocked!
Basic understanding of internationalization support for internal doctoral candidates
The Graduate School felt it was important to point out a few basic details of the TUM-GS Internationalization Support.
- The TUM-GS Internationalization Support is a financial assistance for internationalization activities within their doctoral studies.
- Of course, it is not another or alternative source of funding for official/training travel of TUM/MRI staff.
- There is no automatic entitlement to the financial assistance. Approval is always granted subject to the TUM-GS internationalization budget.
- The internationalization support represents support for doctoral candidates who cannot carry out an internationalization measure within the scope of their doctorate without the (proportional) financial TUM-GS support.
- It is not designed as full funding and does not release supervisors from supporting their own doctoral students in internationalization measures.
And one more thing was important to the Graduate School:
- Please avoid the word PhD à the term used at TUM is doctoral candidates. We at SOT e.g. offer you a doctoral degree.
Guidelines for the publication-based dissertations at der TUM School of Social Sciences and Technology
Do you want to switch to the new Promotionsordnung 2021?
In general, the new Regulations for the Award of Doctoral Degrees and the new TUM-GS Statutory Regulations effective October 1st 2021 apply to all doctoral candidates at TUM (from 1.1.2014). However, some paragraphs are excluded. Therefore, please check the closing remarks in §29 (Regulations Doctoral Degrees) and § 19 (Statutory Regulations), which list these exceptions (Feedbacksessions and Publication
Supervisory Award 2022
The SOT-Supervisory Award winner is Prof. Dr. Jürgen Pfeffer!
In addition to his inspiring and family-friendly leadership style, as well as his availability and support for doctoral students, Prof. Dr. Pfeffer particularly stood out for his excellent involvement and supervision of external doctoral students.
We warmly congratulate Prof. Dr. Pfeffer and keep our fingers crossed for him during the evaluation and election phase at the TUM Graduate Council level (Phase III).
The nomination for this years’ Supervisory Award is NOW OPEN! Honor your supervisor by creating a nomination via this online form. The nomination phase will be open until March 14, 2022. After this, a three-phase selection period will start, resulting in TUM’s best PhD Supervisor selected during the late summer 2022. For any questions, please refer to the website, the FAQ, or email the WG Supervision.
The doctoral students at the SOT are represented by the new doctoral supervisor since January 2022:
- - Anna Heinle, Department Educational Sciences, firstname.lastname@example.org
- - Benjamin Stöger, Department Educational Sciences, email@example.com
- - Svenja Breuer, Department of Science, Technology and Society, firstname.lastname@example.org
- - Henrike Sternberg, Department of Governance - standing guest - , email@example.com
New doctoral regulations 2021
On October 1, 2021, new doctoral regulations and the new TUM-GS statute will come into force. Important information, explanations and FAQS can be found in the new TUM-GS Wiki (Login with TUM ID).
- Dates of the kick-off seminars can be found on the pages of the TUM GS
- The TUM. Your Network provides you with workshops / events around the topics career planning, application and career entry.
- EuroTech Universities: Database with professional, mostly free of charge, courses and qualification offers for doctoral candidates from partner universities.
- Individual coaching for scientists and scholars
- Editing service for English-language publications for TUM Graduate School members.